Process Systems Engineer / Data Scientist, Intermediate/Senior (m/f/*)
Who we are
At Quaisr, our mission is to unlock interactive digital twins – mission-critical replicas of physical systems, backed by online data streams, simulation and machine-learning. We are building out what will become the leading industrial platform that empowers engineers and research scientists to solve pressing problems in energy efficiency, product design and reliability. Quaisr is an early stage startup backed by Crane Venture Partners (UK) and Acequia Capital (USA), along with international angel investors. We were founded on partnerships with leading engineering and research institutions including Imperial College London and The Alan Turing Institute. Our customers are early-adopter multinational organisations in the fast-moving consumer goods, energy, and insurance sectors.
Where we operate
We have a remote-first culture, and support fully remote work. We maintain a physical presence in London (White City), meaning that London co-working is also supported, as is access to a local co-working space if you reside outside of the Greater London area. We encourage remote workers to come to the London office every 6 weeks – we plan these co-working sessions well in advance, and make every effort to accommodate timing requirements and long-distance travel expenses. This position is available full time in the UK.
We offer 25 days paid annual leave, excluding UK public holidays. We support flexible working hours with a cap on total weekly hours. We have one hour of reserved time per week for international standup calls, though we schedule this outside of common hours of, for example, childcare/school-pickup responsibilities.
What you will do
- (50%) Creating bespoke workflows to demonstrate Quaisr platform versatility and adapting these to client use cases;
- (20%) Addressing feedback from end users (and their organisations) and liaising with the core development team to ensure that Quaisr is consistently addressing customer problems with compelling solutions;
- (20%) Documenting generic use cases and contributing to an open-source data-centric engineering course, along with Quaisr's general documentation;
- (10%) Collaborating with others, you will continually learn and update your technical knowledge, and where appropriate communicate this to the wider team through internal learning sessions and mentoring of junior team members.
Who you are
- Be eligible to work in the UK;
- Track record of self-motivated learning, listening, creative problem solving, critical thinking and solutions communication. We are less interested in specific technologies and tools, and more interested in your attitude, learning speed and thought processes;
- Strong written-communication skills. We work in a remote, internationally distributed team; so, asynchronous written communication is important to us;
- Exposure to either Python, MATLAB, or R.
Nice to have:
- Experience with data science and simulation workflows in the energy and chemical process industries;
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and change, in a high-growth environment, while maintaining high standards of quality and attention to detail;
- Understanding of process control, reduced-order modelling and data-centric engineering approaches;
- Experience with high-performance computing (HPC), cloud computing and Linux command-line tools.
- Commercial process-modelling tools and optimisation packages (for example gPROMS, Aspen HYSYS, UniSim, GAMS, or ROMeo–Aveva), open-source optimisation tools (for example Pyomo) used by industry and academia;
- Standard machine learning and deep-learning packages (scikit-learn, Keras, PyTorch).
What we offer
- Salary range of £57,500 to £72,500;
- Employee stock options;
- New equipment: new MacBook Pro, and work-from-home allowance;
- Flexible hours, with a cap on total weekly hours, and support for remote work modes;
- Access to London (White City) offices; local co-working access if outside of the Greater London area;
- Opportunities to present at technical conferences.
Our hiring process
- (30 mins) Introductory call with Quaisr. This is a chance to learn about Quaisr and to check that our plans align with your own. We want to get to know you.
- (90 mins) Technical call with two Quaisr team members. We’ll give you an opportunity to talk through a past programming experience, including taking us through some of your code. We want to learn more about you, and a little regarding how you think!
- (45 mins) Online coding exercise (with a Quaisr team member on the call) covering basic statistical modelling in any of R/Python/Julia (whichever you are most comfortable in).
- (45 mins) Follow-up with additional Quaisr team. You will meet your future team members and learn more about the role directly from us.
Our policy on equality, diversity and inclusion
Quaisr is committed to creating an environment where diversity is valued and everyone is treated fairly. We welcome applications from anyone who meets the specific criteria of the post regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. Reasonable adjustments to the interview process can also be made for any candidates with a disability.
One more thing
If you have a compelling interest in our mission, and wish to propose a role that more closely matches your skill set, please get in touch.