Technical Lead (m/f/*)
Who we are
At Quaisr, our mission is to unlock interactive digital twins – mission-critical replicas of physical systems, backed by online data streams, simulation and machine-learning. We are building out what will become the leading industrial platform that empowers engineers and research scientists to solve pressing problems in energy efficiency, product design and reliability. Quaisr is an early stage startup backed by Crane Venture Partners (UK) and Acequia Capital (USA), along with international angel investors. We were founded on partnerships with leading engineering and research institutions including Imperial College London and The Alan Turing Institute. Our customers are early-adopter multinational organisations in the fast-moving consumer goods, energy, and insurance sectors.
Where we operate
We have a remote-first culture, and support fully remote work. We maintain a physical presence in London (White City), meaning that London co-working is also supported, as is access to a local co-working space if you reside outside of the Greater London area. We encourage remote workers to come to the London office every 6 weeks – we plan these co-working sessions well in advance, and make every effort to accommodate timing requirements and long-distance travel expenses. This position is available full time in the UK.
When we work
We offer 25 days paid annual leave, excluding UK public holidays. We support flexible working hours with a cap on total weekly hours. This role occasionally requires the successful candidate to be available for international calls, primarily to Australia, outside of standard hours (depending on time of year). These will always be planned in advance, and we will work to schedule these around personal responsibilities.
Who you are
We understand that no candidate will be an expert at everything, but if you feel that you have a good balance across the skills, with proven experience in multiple criteria, please apply. We are less interested in specific technologies and tools, and more interested in your attitude, learning speed and thought processes.
- Proven experience in full-stack software development in a team setting;
- Track record of leading or managing technical projects with an agile flavour;
- Experience with relational databases and SQL: in particular, designing and implementing solutions;
- Experience with automation, testing, deployment and analytics tooling in a production environment;
- Experience designing and developing APIs;
- Strong written-communication skills. We work in a remote, internationally distributed team; so, asynchronous written communication is important to us;
- Track record of self-motivated learning, listening, creative problem solving, critical thinking and solutions communication;
- Track record of leading and mentoring colleagues.
Nice to have:
- Track record of industry experience, including production systems;
- An understanding of network security and its applications to software development;
- Experience developing concurrent applications;
- Experience developing microservices;
- Experience developing and deploying with cloud technologies;
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and change, in a high-growth environment, while maintaining high standards of quality and attention to detail;
- Familiarity with design or user experience (UX);
- Experience designing / creating complex interactive UIs, for example using the browser Canvas API;
- Exposure to the languages we use: C#, Python, and TypeScript / ECMAScript 6+;
- Experience with compiler concepts such as parsing or type checking;
- Experience with the data processing lifecycle: cleaning, analysis, or visualisation.
- Exposure to game-engine technologies, interactive 3D graphics;
- Keen interest in data-flow pipelines, simulation, machine learning and/or security.
What you will do
- (40%) Developing new features and writing code;
- (20%) Addressing feedback from end users and their organisations, to ensure we are solving customer problems with compelling solutions;
- (20%) Supporting members on the UK development team with technical input;
- (10%) Collaborating with the UK staff for both self and team development;
- (10%) Near-term planning and organisation for the development team. A small amount of this will be done in collaboration with the Australian office.
Technologies we use
For frontend development, we use TypeScript and React along with lightweight client-side state-management. For core backend systems, we use .NET technologies, with PostgreSQL via Entity Framework Core. For deployment, we place a high emphasis on containerisation technologies (Kubernetes) and typically deploy to customers via cloud-provider and high-performance computing (HPC) infrastructures. Our platform supports end-user code in Python, R and Julia; and we maintain and support SDKs in each of these languages.
We support async remote work, so drive our planning and execution through a mixture of Google Workspace, Slack communication, web based whiteboarding tools, Linear issue tracking, and GitHub issue tickets.
- Salary range of £57,500 to £72,500;
- Employee stock options;
- New equipment: new MacBook Pro, and work-from-home allowance;
- Flexible hours, with a cap on total weekly hours, and support for remote work modes;
- Access to London (White City) offices; local co-working access if outside of the Greater London area;
- Opportunities to present at technical conferences.
Our hiring process
- (30 mins) Introductory call with Quaisr. This is a chance to learn about Quaisr and to check that our plans align with your own. We want to get to know you.
- (90 mins) Technical call with two Quaisr team members. We’ll give you an opportunity to talk through a past programming experience, including taking us through some of your code. We want to learn more about you, and a little regarding how you think!
- (45 mins) Follow-up with additional Quaisr team. You will meet your future team members and learn more about the role directly from us.
Our policy on equality, diversity and inclusion
Quaisr is committed to creating an environment where diversity is valued and everyone is treated fairly. We welcome applications from anyone who meets the specific criteria of the post regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. Reasonable adjustments to the interview process can also be made for any candidates with a disability.
One more thing
If you have a compelling interest in our mission, and wish to propose a role that more closely matches your skill set, please get in touch.